Monday, August 19, 2013

Alleviating Sinus Troubles the Natural Way


My sinuses, just like my toddler, have been "acting up" recently. And I suspect I'm not the only one in the U.S. that has this horrible issue. This is one of the ways we keep big pharma in business. I feel that as I'm aging the worse they are getting and prior to living in North Carolina, a very beautiful state however filled with pine trees that spew their yellow tree love all over everything during the spring, I had never had allergy problems. Although I have never been tested I feel that I'm allergic to mold spores. This was made apparent this past late Summer/early Fall when we were blessed with lots of rain and with that came humidity; a heaven for mold. I don't care to take medication for my allergies usually I just ride it out and maybe take some headache medicine if it gets too bad.

What I do like to do and what I've found to help consistently help to clear sinuses is plant essential oils (more on that in a bit). Within your skull lies a sinus cavity that runs from one ear, above your nose and under your eyes, to the other ear. When it stays nice and moist with a healthy amount of mucus, bacteria will have a harder time of growing and on the other hand if your sinus cavity is extremely dry bacteria will find themselves at home causing inflammation, discomfort, and pressure and if left untreated: infection a.k.a sinusitis. If it comes to infection and using aromatherapy doesn't help alleviate the cause within 3 days, I would have to recommend antibiotics. But ONLY if everything else you have tried is a no go.

I will now give my recommendations on how to help clear up sinuses and even avoid a problem in the first place.

1.) Essential oils - these are 100% natural volatile plant extracts that have been shown for many centuries to help heal. For sinus-related problems stick to oils from trees such as Cypress, Pine, Cedar wood, and my personal favorite Eucalyptus. Add 2 drops to a bowl of boiling water. Add after the water has been added to bowl or you risk of evaporation before you even begin. Place your face over the bowl and a towel over your face. Breathe deeply for 5-10 minutes. Do this three times a day for 3 days. It is very important to remember that aromatherapy is not an immediate answer with immediate relief. It's not popping a pill and finding that temporary relief in a few minutes. If you want to use this way of treatment it is very important to have patience.

2.) Water, water, water and lots of it. Drink it all day long. Remember keeping our sinus cavity moist? Water is the key. Keep yourself hydrated; this is number one.

3.) If too much mucus is the problem avoid dairy and soy as these are two of the most common mucus-causers.

4.) If you're the adventurous type seek out the Netti-pot. Using saline solution (salt and water) in the pot and pouring through one nostril while letting it release out of the other one, it really helps to clear out those sinuses and relieve pressure. Please read the directions because if you do not do it right you can help cause infection by allowing the liquid to enter the ears. This may take a bit of practice but when you've got it you will never leave home without one.

5.) And if you're not the adventurous type or the Netti-pot seems a little well, gross then use a saline mist that you can spray up the nose and help keep the nostrils and sinus cavity nice and moist.

6.) Oregano and garlic essential oils have potent anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The herbs Echinacea, goldenseal, and of course Vitamin C are always great substances to use in addition to one or more of the suggested treatments above.

To read this article and more visit: http://kristenpeters.net

No comments:

Post a Comment